Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Lab 1: Interesting Maps


Interesting Map #1 The Internet's "Black Holes"


Link to Picture: http://adsoftheworld.com/media/print/reporters_without_borders_the_internets_black_holes?size=_original
Link to Article: http://en.rsf.org/list-of-the-13-internet-enemies-07-11-2006,19603
     Like many other people in my class, I googled "interesting maps" to start out on my assignment. I happened to come across this map, and I liked how the map illustrated censorship. The article explains the extent of censorship in 13 countries in the world. To an extent, many countries do have some sort of censorship, but these 13 countries inhibit artistic, intellectual, social, and political freedoms.



 Interesting Map #2  "Map from Egg to Omelet" (Makeshift name)


Link: http://www.myhumors99.com/2010/03/my-way-fun-maps.html
     I also found this map during my map hunt assignment. I liked this map because this map is not spatial but more of an abstract way to show a very simplistic process. And, it is very humorous. There are so many unnecessary divergent paths, but, somehow, they all lead to the same place/result. The blog also has many more clever/humorous maps. I'm not sure if the blog author created all of them or even any of them or if the blog is just a collection of maps that the author had encountered. I still enjoyed looking at them, though.



Interesting Map #3 "That One Treasure Map From That One Episode From Spongebob" (Another Makeshift name)


Picture Link: http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/The_Flying_Dutchman%27s_Treasure_Hunt
All credit goes to the people who own Spongebob Squarepants.
      This is just a map I remembered from my childhood. I really enjoyed this episode and thought it was really entertaining and enjoyable. This map is pretty much a fictional board game taped to "treasure map paper" and was used as a map to find treasure in this episode of Spongebob, if you did not know. This map was both quirky and childish, which both characterize the entire show of Spongebob Squarepants. It's a map that you might think a child might have during his/her imaginative adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment